The Spring 2010 Game Dev Club second challenge has finished. I completed a game for it, Budget Crisis 9000. The game is rather simplistic --- control an economy with value sliders and try to keep various constituency groups happy. Further constituency groups than Liberals and Conservatives were determined by popular vote --- Cat-People being the last group added.
The formats of the input files are not hard to understand, so anyone could ajdust the game to use differnt values. It was a major design decision to load values for files beforehand, rendering the `hidden values' not so hidden; I don't consider that a problem. Anyone willing to investigate text files would probably be willing to go source-diving.
Budget Crisis 9000 is, in addition to an entrant in the competition, an attempt to further my Python knowledge. I also learned a GUI toolkit with this project --- Qt4. It is an interesting toolkit. I'm not sure I'd want to do a game involving sprite collision with it, but for this it was a good fit. Perhaps I will do a simple blog editor in it, though I use ikiwiki so such editors are of less use to me. Perhaps I'll try my hand at microblogging...
Results of the competition is 2 weeks.